Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Want to be a Hipster

I want to be a hipster. But I don't know how to do it, and its kind of fatiguing. I've spent a lot of time almost pulling the trigger on hipsterdom. Just little bits of ironic action peppered into my life.

Maybe it never quite stuck because I don't know what irony is. How dare you Alanis Morrisette.

Hipsters make conscious decisions on every detail of life down to what bands to like and what t-shirt to wear. I usually just choose whatever shirt has the least amount of wrinkles and doesn't smell like last Friday. I have tried to dress with purpose. My first memory of making fashion choices not based on location in a laundry pile was when I was 11. I bought 4 band t-shirts of bands I knew nobody else had heard of, all of them black (the shirts, not the bands). They replaced my then favorite t-shirt: an artsy Pillsbury Doughboy tee. It was actually probably more hipster than the band tees if I would have worn it ironically, but nay, i was just a fan.

::poke:: mmm hmmm

It was great. The shirts were ambiguous, music related, and one had a big wheel on it. Hipster triumvirate. But I soon found out that even band tees get wrinkly on the floor. Welcome back lesser of two wrinkly evils fashion economy.

Recently I have been getting back into the action. After years of boycotting them, I have started wearing boxer briefs and v-neck shirts. I don't even know if boxer briefs are in the hipster repetoire...I just wanted you to know I wear them. V necks are surprisingly freeing. I assumed my lower neck was destined to be hidden. Somehow a lower class body part like that spot behind the knee that doesn't even have a name. But it's out in the open now, and it's kind of sexy.

But alas, V necks get wrinkly too. Maybe I will never be a hipster. For no other reason than being a hipster probably means doing a lot of laundry, and who has the time?

2 comments:

dash my dreams or fuel my ambitions.