Sloth
I learned what the word apathy meant around the age of 12. My mentor finally pinpointed a word that described me to a T.[1] Throughout my childhood I have typically been very good at doing things, but never bothered much to actually do them. In 8th grade I had a lock on making the school basketball team. I knew the coach, he liked the way I played, and I had new basketball shoes that really made it feel like I could jump higher. The bad news though was that I got sick the day before tryouts. I was told I could stop by practice and tryout later which is the easiest make up test I had since missing a 3rd grade spelling test.[2] It was SO easy that I decided to just not show up. I didn’t care enough to be the new Lebron James before Lebron James even existed. I decided it was much easier to just come home after school instead of running laps.
Although I have many examples of apathy and slothdom, choosing the best example is simple: I once slept for 23 straight hours. I’m not even sure sloths do that. Take that sloths, I beat you at your own game. I don’t really remember the circumstances that lead to the marathon nap, although not knowing many details has never stopped me from telling a story before.
As far as I know I was not sick, nor did I stay up the night before for some sort of rager. Although I was prone to the occasional rager as a 14 year old. I was very cool. Always partying. However this day was just a regular, sitting on the couch watching classic Looney Tunes, kind of day. I probably made macaroni and cheese for lunch, by which I mean my mom probably made me mac & cheese for lunch with some sort of item on the side to make it ‘balanced.’ I would have made it but that wouldn’t be very sloth like.
I remember that nothing very good was on tv so I closed my eyes circa 1 pm. I didn’t fall asleep with the intention of not waking up until the next day but greatness is rarely achieved on purpose.[3] The day then passed by around me while I rolled around, sound asleep, probably sleep passing gas, on the couch.
1:00pm-5:30pm was very easy. I slept like a baby, but like a really mature baby who doesn’t suck at sleeping. Somewhere around 5:30 I admit I woke up to turn off the tv. I don’t count this as cheating, I count it as an act of commitment. I didn’t need that tv distracting me from my dreams. I may have also went upstairs to grab a sandwich which added some cardio to my sleep adventure. This all took place in under 5 minutes, which in the world of sleeping means it doesn’t count as waking up. There were no more disruptions until noon the next day when I woke up to finish my macaroni and cheese and live out the rest of my life not caring about stuff.[4]
On a final note on being a sloth, it took me over 4 weeks to write this entry. It doesn’t look good for me.
[1] If I was described to a Tee, I would hope it was short sleeved.
[2] I probably can’t spell any of those words correctly now. Thanks a lot spell check.
[3] The light bulb was the result of Thomas Edison dropping a box of parts into another box of parts.
[4] I think at one point my mom came down to check if I was alive. I was, at least on the outside.
I remember one night the summer after my freshman year of college, I started playing Tetris 2 at 1 AM and didn't stop until 6. Then I went to bed, woke up around 6 PM that evening, took a half-hour to eat some dinner, then went back to sleep and didn't wake up until the next morning. Even after 24 hours of sleep, one eye was still bloodshot from all the Tetris.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. This amused me, and made me chuckle briefly ::insert canned laughter:: Seriously tho, pretty amusing. Honestly,I thought I know some pretty lazy people and they don't have a scintilla of gusto to develop a blog of any sorts; so I had my doubts about your respective "sloth-like" qualities. Until I read that it took you four weeks to write this, then I thought.....well, perhaps his teacher was onto something. Yes, just maybe and indeed. : )
ReplyDelete~b
http://legallybrunetterants.blogspot.com/
PS. follow me if you would, writing a book and soon to post snipits/ looking for feedback: good n' bad welcome. ty
Came across your blog by accident but it actually made me laugh out loud. Which is weird when you're the only one home. But anyway, loved it! :-) jenn
ReplyDeletegirldefyinggravity.com
Oh thank you. I'll make sure to check out your blog for what I assume are videos of levitating women? (congrats on your engagement...see I actually read it).
Delete