Kindness
Thinking of a particularly exciting
memory of kindness is sort of like trying to think of the most exciting
dictionary entry you’ve ever read. Kindness is naturally pretty boring, unless
it involves presenting an oversized check to a mass of people.[1] I,
of course, only use oversized checks to pay rent. The landlord thinks it’s
hilarious.
Living life as an unadventurous kid
afraid of confrontation, kindness was a big part of my arsenal of attributes. The
bully rarely fights the kid who brings in snacks for his fellow classmates. Because
yes Mrs. K, I DID bring in enough for the rest of the class. Not exactly out of
kindness, but if a teacher is going to tell you that something is against the
rules because you didn’t bring enough in for everybody, you better believe the
next day the class is getting a treat. Take note young nerds, snacks plus spite
equals kindness.
My kindness as a child was often the
result of being nice relative to those around me, because children are
monsters.[2]
One day two friends were coming over to my house to play. I do not know how the
time or place was arranged. I assume our parents travelled into the future and
used their cell phones to make some calls.[3] My
one friend, let’s call him Steve, because I don’t remember who it was and I’m
not good at making up names (sorry future wife), showed up first and had a
really great idea:
Let’s hide in the
tree and throw pine cones at other Steve when he gets here.[4]
I had several feelings about this
plan. First, I love being in trees, this is going to be great. Second, why
would we do that to other Steve? He’s an ok human person, probably my second
favorite Steve. Third, I only have willow trees in my yard, where are we
getting pine cones? The third point was irrelevant, we were outside and this
was the nineties, there were pine cones everywhere. This was before we knew
pine cones were bad for us. For the second point, I waited to voice my concern
until we were already up in that tree because, well, I love being in trees!
Once we were up there, and I had
found a nice branch to lounge on, I let Steve know I wasn’t 100% on board with
operation throw objects at our friend. This is me being kind to other Steve.
Also at the same time, I wanted to be kind to first Steve, so we totally threw
those pine cones at other Steve. He did not like it. I know he didn’t like it
because he screamed at us and ran home. Classic other Steve. This is where I
need to wrap the story up in a nice little kindness bow. I convinced first
Steve that we needed to go apologize, and then all hang out and do whatever
other Steve wanted to do for the day. We apologized profusely and he decided he wanted to play “run through the yard
and see if you can outrun my mean dog before it gets you.”[5] Out
of anger he suggested the game, out of kindness, we played.
[1]
Who uses checks anymore?
[2] They
should check under their beds for themselves! Boom, roasted.
[3]
They couldn’t use a landline because it was tied up by AOL.
[4]
Sorry, the creative side of my brain thinks all boys are named Steve.
[5]
This is a real game we played. I can’t remember if it was out of revenge, but I
do remember it being exhilarating.
guys i found this really funny blog Dogstuff101 check them out there stuff i hilairious
ReplyDeletethumbs up to other Steve :))
ReplyDelete